Choosing the right home care provider is no easy task.
Naomi Anderson, our Aged Care Coordinator and Associate Director has provided some tips on how to get this right.
Her top questions to ask are:
- What are your care needs? What do you need to spend your package funding on? Be specific, down to how many hours you need per week – whether that be personal care, cleaning etc.
- What is your budget – what is the amount of funding that you have received? Are you able to top up your home care package by self-funding?
- Consider the location of provider. How far away is the provider away from you? Do their staff have to travel far? In our experience, if staff are needing to travel too far, there will be more instances of ‘no shows’ or cancellations.
- Can your closest providers meet the level of care that you need? Do they also have availability?
From here she advises you to:
- Compare the prices between your narrowed down list of providers, be sure to compare like for like! Including cost per hour as well as other management fees, travel fees and exit fees.
- Check the reputation of your providers, as well as past Government audits, sanctions and notices of non-compliance.
- Call the provider and ask for a quote. You will be surprised at how much different the final amount will be compared to the prices they have listed on My Aged Care. This is also a good opportunity to see how the providers staff interact with you – are they helpful, friendly? Do they answer your questions?
- Book in a time to meet with your selected provider to go over the contract. Be sure to check over the contract (especially for any administration/management and exit fees), ask questions and don’t be pressured into signing anything if you need someone else to go over it with you.
If you, your loved ones or someone you know need help navigating the aged care sector, Naomi and our Aged Care Angels would love to help.
You can contact us on 1300 023 589 or email email@example.com